Welcome to the Chocolatey Community Package Repository! The packages found in this section of the site are provided, maintained, and moderated by the community.
Every version of each package undergoes a rigorous moderation process before it goes live that typically includes:
- Security, consistency, and quality checking
- Installation testing
- Virus checking through VirusTotal
- Human moderators who give final review and sign off
If you are an organization using Chocolatey, we want your experience to be fully reliable. Due to the nature of this publicly offered repository, reliability cannot be guaranteed. Packages offered here are subject to distribution rights, which means they may need to reach out further to the internet to the official locations to download files at runtime.
Fortunately, distribution rights do not apply for internal use. With any edition of Chocolatey (including the free open source edition), you can host your own packages and cache or internalize existing community packages.
Your use of the packages on this site means you understand they are not supported or guaranteed in any way. Learn more...
Downloads of v 15.2.26430.20170605:
Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools
To edit the metadata for a package, please upload an updated version of the package.
Chocolatey's Community Package Repository currently does not allow updating package metadata on the website. This helps ensure that the package itself (and the source used to build the package) remains the one true source of package metadata.
This does require that you increment the package version.
This is not the latest version of Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools available.
This package was approved by moderator AdmiringWorm on 6/18/2017.
These Build Tools allow you to build native and managed MSBuild-based applications without requiring the Visual Studio IDE. There are options to install the Visual C++ compilers and libraries, MFC, ATL, and C++/CLI support.
By default, the package installs only the bare minimum required (the MSBuild Tools workload). The easiest way to add more workloads is to use the workload packages:
- Visual C++ build tools
- Web development build tools.
All package parameters are passed to the Visual Studio installer, enabling full customization of the installation. The possible parameters are described here. The package passes
--norestart --wait by default, and
--passive is specified in the package parameters.
After installing the package, more features can also be added by launching the Visual Studio Installer application from the Start Menu.
The language of the installed software can be controlled using the package parameter
The list of languages is presented here. By default, the operating system display language is used.
This command will install Visual Studio Build Tools with all available workloads and optional components, display progress during the installation and specify the English language regardless of operating system settings:
choco install visualstudio2017buildtools --package-parameters "--allWorkloads --includeRecommended --includeOptional --passive --locale en-US"
A reboot may be required after (or even before) installing/uninstalling this package.
If control over reboots is required, it is advisable to install the dependencies (esp. dotnet4.6.1 or later) first, perform a reboot if necessary, and then install this package.
Install-VisualStudio ` -PackageName 'visualstudio2017buildtools' ` -ApplicationName 'Microsoft Visual Studio Build Tools 2017' ` -Url 'https://download.microsoft.com/download/C/3/7/C37763CB-E533-4290-BE34-1DF89C218CFE/vs_BuildTools.exe' ` -Checksum 'DF4EC6B5A7041873AA6F814E5B7CE51E9C5D39A2C2FC8802B46F2CC64A9116CD' ` -ChecksumType 'SHA256' ` -InstallerTechnology 'WillowVS2017OrLater' ` -Product 'BuildTools' ` -VisualStudioYear '2017'
Remove-VisualStudioProduct ` -PackageName 'visualstudio2017buildtools' ` -Product 'BuildTools' ` -VisualStudioYear '2017'
- vs_BuildTools.exe (df4ec6b5a704) - ## / 61 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
- visualstudio2017buildtools.15.2.26430.20170605.nupkg (66d63a460317) - ## / 59 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
In cases where actual malware is found, the packages are subject to removal. Software sometimes has false positives. Moderators do not necessarily validate the safety of the underlying software, only that a package retrieves software from the official distribution point and/or validate embedded software against official distribution point (where distribution rights allow redistribution).
Chocolatey Pro provides runtime protection from possible malware.
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 188.8.131.52||11130||Monday, September 16, 2019||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 184.108.40.206||53882||Tuesday, August 20, 2019||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 220.127.116.11||219469||Wednesday, April 10, 2019||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 18.104.22.168||18835||Sunday, March 31, 2019||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 22.214.171.124||35675||Saturday, March 9, 2019||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 126.96.36.199||27444||Thursday, February 21, 2019||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 188.8.131.52||84196||Saturday, January 5, 2019||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 184.108.40.206||69686||Tuesday, November 27, 2018||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 220.127.116.11||58983||Saturday, November 17, 2018||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 18.104.22.168||51186||Wednesday, November 7, 2018||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 22.214.171.124||65743||Wednesday, October 17, 2018||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 126.96.36.199||13522||Tuesday, October 2, 2018||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 188.8.131.52||8544||Monday, September 3, 2018||approved|
|Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools 184.108.40.206||4984||Thursday, August 16, 2018||approved|
- Package metadata updated for Visual Studio 2017 version 15.2.26430.12 (the native installer always installs the latest released Visual Studio 2017 build).
- To avoid problems with upgrade, installation is skipped if the product is already installed.
- This discussion is only about Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools and the Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools package. If you have feedback for Chocolatey, please contact the Google Group.
- This discussion will carry over multiple versions. If you have a comment about a particular version, please note that in your comments.
- The maintainers of this Chocolatey Package will be notified about new comments that are posted to this Disqus thread, however, it is NOT a guarantee that you will get a response. If you do not hear back from the maintainers after posting a message below, please follow up by using the link on the left side of this page or follow this link to contact maintainers. If you still hear nothing back, please follow the package triage process.
- Tell us what you love about the package or Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools, or tell us what needs improvement.
- Share your experiences with the package, or extra configuration or gotchas that you've found.
- If you use a url, the comment will be flagged for moderation until you've been whitelisted. Disqus moderated comments are approved on a weekly schedule if not sooner. It could take between 1-5 days for your comment to show up.