Downloads of v 0.0.1
Implements installing of Chocolatey packages from the web using choco:// Protocol with choco-protocol-support.cmd (and Sudo).
WHO IS THIS FOR?
choco-protocol-support is designed for those who aren't comfortable with the Command Prompt or just don't like to type much. choco-protocol-support allows you to install Chocolatey packages by simply clicking choco:// URLs in your web browser. choco-protocol-support is also useful for support professionals who know the difficulty of getting end users to type in commands correctly. Now you can give end users a URL via e-mail or corporate software web page to click and have a Chocolatey package installed!
If you like the convienance of this package, you should also check out Install Chocolatey Packages from your Web Browser which is very similar in concept as well as (unofficial) Chocolatey Shortcuts (Config). All three of these make installing Chocolatey packages very user friendly.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
choco-protocol-support configures Windows to use choco://packagename URLs and pass them along to choco-protocol-support.cmd which then processes the URL and runs Chocolatey's cinst.exe ("choco install" shim) with help from Sudo to install the package. Lets hope this functionality gets built into a future version of Chocolatey and then this package can be deprecated. UPDATE: Added to Chocolatey 1.0.0 milestone!
Easy peasy, Chocolateasy!
INTRODUCING THE FIRST choco:// URLS ON THE INTERNET:
(AKA Other fine 3rd party Chocolatey utilities by BCURRAN3)
choco://instchoco - (unofficial) InstChoco
choco://choco-package-list-backup - (unofficial) Choco Package List Backup to Local and Cloud
choco://choco-upgrade-all-at-startup - (unofficial) Choco Upgrade All at Startup
choco://choco-upgrade-all-at - (unofficial) Choco Upgrade All at
choco://choco-cleaner - (unofficial) Choco Cleaner
choco://choco-shortcuts-winconfig - (unofficial) Chocolatey Shortcuts
choco://chocolatey-toast-notifications.extension - (unofficial) Chocolatey Toast Notifications
choco://chocolatey-preinstaller-checks.extension - (unofficial) Chocolatey Preinstaller Checks
choco://choco-install-packages-from-web-winconfig - (unofficial) Install Chocolatey Packages from your Web Browser
WARNING: Only install one package at a time until such time as Chocolatey v1.x is released. (REFERENCE)
To install (unofficial) choco:// Protocol support, run the following command from the command line or from PowerShell:
C:\> choco install choco-protocol-support
To upgrade (unofficial) choco:// Protocol support, run the following command from the command line or from PowerShell:
C:\> choco upgrade choco-protocol-support
$ErrorActionPreference = 'Stop' $packageName = 'choco-protocol-support' New-PSDrive -Name HKCR -PSProvider Registry -Root HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -ea SilentlyContinue | Out-Null Remove-Item -Path "HKCR:choco" -Recurse –Force | Out-Null
$ErrorActionPreference = 'Stop' $packageName = 'choco-protocol-support' $toolsDir = "$(Split-Path -parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition)" # Setup choco:// Protocol in the registry and assign it to run choco-protocol-support.cmd which in turn runs cinst.exe with help from Sudo New-PSDrive -Name HKCR -PSProvider Registry -Root HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -ea SilentlyContinue | Out-Null New-Item -Path "HKCR:" -Name "choco" –Force | Out-Null Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCR:\choco" -Name "(Default)" -Value '"URL:choco Protocol"' | Out-Null Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCR:\choco" -Name "URL Protocol" -Value '""' | Out-Null New-Item -Path "HKCR:\choco" -Name "shell" –Force | Out-Null New-Item -Path "HKCR:\choco\shell" -Name "open" –Force | Out-Null New-Item -Path "HKCR:\choco\shell\open" -Name "command" –Force | Out-Null Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCR:\choco\shell\open\command" -Name "(Default)" -Value """$env:ChocolateyInstall\lib\choco-protocol-support\tools\choco-protocol-support.cmd"" ""%1""" | Out-Null
@ECHO OFF setlocal enableDelayedExpansion mode con: cols=120 lines=8 color 2f echo choco-protocol-support v0.0.1 (12/26/2018) echo choco:// protocol implementation by Bill Curran ([email protected]) echo. set chocoprotocolURL=%1 set chocoprotocolURL=%chocoprotocolURL:"=% set chocoprotocolURL=%chocoprotocolURL:choco://=% set chocoprotocolURL=%chocoprotocolURL:/=% set chocoprotocolURL=%chocoprotocolURL: =% echo ** Installing %chocoprotocolURL% via %1 sudo %ChocolateyInstall%\bin\cinst.exe %chocoprotocolURL% -y timeout 10
Virus Scan Results
- choco-protocol-support.0.0.1.nupkg (e821e4481962) - ## / 60 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
Public Domain 2018 Bill Curran
|(unofficial) choco:// Protocol support 0.0.1||414||Wednesday, December 26, 2018||approved|
Discussion for the (unofficial) choco:// Protocol support Package
- This discussion is only about (unofficial) choco:// Protocol support and the (unofficial) choco:// Protocol support package. If you have feedback for Chocolatey, please contact the google group.
- This discussion will carry over multiple versions. If you have a comment about a particular version, please note that in your comments.
- The maintainers of this Chocolatey Package will be notified about new comments that are posted to this Disqus thread, however, it is NOT a guarantee that you will get a response. If you do not hear back from the maintainers after posting a message below, please follow up by using the link on the left side of this page or follow this link to contact maintainers. If you still hear nothing back, please follow the package triage process.
- Tell us what you love about the package or (unofficial) choco:// Protocol support, or tell us what needs improvement.
- Share your experiences with the package, or extra configuration or gotchas that you've found.
- If you use a url, the comment will be flagged for moderation until you've been whitelisted. Disqus moderated comments are approved on a weekly schedule if not sooner. It could take between 1-5 days for your comment to show up.