The package manager for Windows
Chocolatey - Software Management Automation
The sane way to manage software on Windows
- Chocolatey builds on technologies you know - unattended installation and PowerShell. Chocolatey works with all existing software installation technologies like MSI, NSIS, InnoSetup, etc, but also works with runtime binaries and zip archives. Go Pro/Business to dial that experience up to 11!
- Easily manage all aspects of Windows software (installation, configuration, upgrade, and uninstallation). Chocolatey is the most reliable when software is included in the package, but can also easily download resources.
- Take advantage of PowerShell to provide automated software management instructions and Chocolatey’s built-in module to turn complex tasks into one line function calls!
Official Chocolatey tools
- The CLI client, choco.exe, was designed with security in mind. Know you are using Chocolatey from a trusted source when you are using the official Chocolatey clients.
- Use choco.exe to install, upgrade, uninstall, publish and search for packages (and much more).
- Use Chocolatey GUI when you need a visual representation of packages.
- There is an official provider for Windows 10/Windows Server 2016's built-in package manager manager (PackageManagement/OneGet) in the works - no ETA on release date yet.
Packages are independent deployment artifacts
- Chocolatey packages are not just fancy zip files with PowerShell, they understand versioning and dependencies, allowing you to encapsulate everything related to managing installation and configuration for a piece of software.
- As an independent deployment artifact, Chocolatey packages are not tied to another technology, allowing developers to install packages with Chocolatey and System Administrators to deploy Chocolatey packages using Chocolatey’s integration with their favorite configuration manager like SCCM, Puppet, or Chef.
- Chocolatey packages allow you to separate software installation concerns from automation tools / configuration managers and use the best tool for software management, which is the Chocolatey framework.
Choose from thousands of community packages
- Chocolatey Pro offers individuals greater protection, more reliability, and more features when using the community feed!
- Chocolatey.org has the largest online registry of Windows packages.
- Package submissions go through a rigorous moderation review process, including automatic virus scanning.
- The community repository has a strict policy on malicious and pirated software.
unique packages / total packages
total community package installs