Downloads of v 220.127.116.1150213
This package uses an older NPM which is no longer offered as a standalone package separately from NodeJS. It is recommended that you uninstall this package and the package nodejs.commandline in favor of nodejs.install (which nodejs package now points to).
This version of npm is known to have issues on Windows.
npm is the official package manager for Node.js.
npm, is two things: first and foremost, it is an online repository for the publishing of open-source Node.js projects; second, it is a command-line utility for interacting with said repository that aids in package installation, version management, and dependency management. A plethora of node.js libraries and applications are published on npm, and many more are added every day. These applications can be searched for on http://search.npmjs.org/. Once you have a package you want to install, it can be installed with a single commmand-line command.
Let's say you're hard at work one day, developing the Next Great Application. You come across a problem, and you decide that it's time to use that cool library you keep hearing about - let's use Caolan McMahon's async as an example. Thankfully, npm is very simple to use: you only have to run npm install async, and the specified module will be installed in the current directory under ./nodemodules/. Once installed to your nodemodules folder, you'll be able to use require() on them just like they were built-ins.
Let's look at an example of a global install - let's say coffee-script. The npm command is simple: npm install coffee-script -g. This will typically install the program and put a symlink to it in /usr/local/bin/. This will then allow you to run the program from the console just like any other CLI tool. In this case, running coffee will now allow you to use the coffee-script REPL.
Another important use for npm is dependency management. When you have a node project with a package.json file, you can run npm install from the project root and npm will install all the dependencies listed in the package.json. This makes installing a Node project from a git repo much easier! For example, vows, one of Node's testing frameworks, can be installed from git, and its single dependency, eyes, can be automatically handled:
git clone https://github.com/cloudhead/vows.git
After running those commands, you will see a node_modules folder containing all of the project dependencies specified in the package.json.
$packageName = 'npm' $packageVersion = '1.4.9' $installerType = 'zip' $url = 'http://nodejs.org/dist/npm/npm-1.4.9.zip' Install-ChocolateyZipPackage "$packageName" "$url" "$(Split-Path -parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition)"
Virus Scan Results
- npm.18.104.22.16850213.nupkg (2051ff131b27) - ## / 56 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
- npm.exe (9a109faa9f11) - ## / 55 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
- npm-1.4.9.zip (d4121588a78b) - ## / 54 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
This package has no dependencies.
Discussion for the [DEPRECATED] npm Package Manager Package
- This discussion is only about [DEPRECATED] npm Package Manager and the [DEPRECATED] npm Package Manager package. If you have feedback for Chocolatey, please contact the google group.
- This discussion will carry over multiple versions. If you have a comment about a particular version, please note that in your comments.
- The maintainers of this Chocolatey Package will be notified about new comments that are posted to this Disqus thread, however, it is NOT a guarantee that you will get a response. If you do not hear back from the maintainers after posting a message below, please follow up by using the link on the left side of this page or follow this link to contact maintainers. If you still hear nothing back, please follow the package triage process.
- Tell us what you love about the package or [DEPRECATED] npm Package Manager, or tell us what needs improvement.
- Share your experiences with the package, or extra configuration or gotchas that you've found.
- If you use a url, the comment will be flagged for moderation until you've been whitelisted. Disqus moderated comments are approved on a weekly schedule if not sooner. It could take between 1-5 days for your comment to show up.