Downloads of v 1.20
NTFSInfo is a little applet that shows you information about NTFS volumes. Its dump includes the size of a drive's allocation units, where key NTFS files are located, and the sizes of the NTFS metadata files on the volume. This information is typically of little more than curiosity value, but NTFSInfo does show some interesting things. For example, you've probably heard about the NTFS equivalent of the FAT file system's File Allocation Table. Its called the Master File Table (MFT), and it is made up of constant sized records that describe the location of all the files and directories on the drive. What's surprising about the MFT is that it is managed as a file, just like any other. NTFSInfo will show you where on the disk (in terms of clusters) the MFT is located and how large it is, in addition to specifying how large the volume's clusters and MFT records are. In order to protect the MFT from fragmentation, NTFS reserves a portion of the disk around the MFT that it will not allocate to other files unless disk space runs low. This area is known as the MFT-Zone and NTFSInfo will tell you where on the disk the MFT-Zone is located and what percentage of the drive is reserved for it.
To install NTFSInfo, run the following command from the command line or from PowerShell:
C:\> choco install ntfsinfo
To upgrade NTFSInfo, run the following command from the command line or from PowerShell:
C:\> choco upgrade ntfsinfo
$packageName = 'ntfsinfo' $url = 'https://download.sysinternals.com/files/NTFSInfo.zip' $checksum = 'c71445a4d8df9ccb21923beb575e315529e264ad672de445110aabdc01bc5a9d' $checksumType = 'sha256' $url64 = "$url" $checksum64 = "$checksum" $checksumType64 = "checksumType" $toolsDir = "$(Split-Path -parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition)" Install-ChocolateyZipPackage -PackageName "$packageName" ` -Url "$url" ` -UnzipLocation "$toolsDir" ` -Url64bit "$url64" ` -Checksum "$checksum" ` -ChecksumType "$checksumType" ` -Checksum64 "$checksum64" ` -ChecksumType64 "$checksumType64"
Virus Scan Results
- ntfsinfo.1.20.nupkg (9dc729e6091a) - ## / 54 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
- ntfsinfo.exe (a0d29465c4ef) - ## / 60 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
- ntfsinfo64.exe (e2837be10257) - ## / 61 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
- NTFSInfo.zip (c71445a4d8df) - ## / 56 - Log in or click on link to see number of positives
This package has no dependencies.
© Mark Russinovich
- Automatically built and uploaded by dtgm
|NTFSInfo 1.20||387||Tuesday, July 5, 2016||approved|
|NTFSInfo 1.0||257||Thursday, July 2, 2015||approved|
|NTFSInfo 1.00||209||Wednesday, February 10, 2016||approved|
Discussion for the NTFSInfo Package
- This discussion is only about NTFSInfo and the NTFSInfo package. If you have feedback for Chocolatey, please contact the google group.
- This discussion will carry over multiple versions. If you have a comment about a particular version, please note that in your comments.
- The maintainers of this Chocolatey Package will be notified about new comments that are posted to this Disqus thread, however, it is NOT a guarantee that you will get a response. If you do not hear back from the maintainers after posting a message below, please follow up by using the link on the left side of this page or follow this link to contact maintainers. If you still hear nothing back, please follow the package triage process.
- Tell us what you love about the package or NTFSInfo, or tell us what needs improvement.
- Share your experiences with the package, or extra configuration or gotchas that you've found.
- If you use a url, the comment will be flagged for moderation until you've been whitelisted. Disqus moderated comments are approved on a weekly schedule if not sooner. It could take between 1-5 days for your comment to show up.